The Schools and Libraries (E-rate) Program provides discounts to assist eligible schools and libraries to obtain affordable internet access and telecommunications services. The E-rate Program is one of four universal service programs funded through the federal Universal Service Fund (USF). The Federal Communications Commission (FCC or Commission) appointed the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) as the permanent administrator of the USF and the universal service programs, including the E-rate Program.
The ERATE SE will mainly interact with the Enterprise account team focused on selling company services to the K-12 and higher education verticals across company’s footprint. The ERATE Sales Engineer will lead consultative pre-sales technical and application design meetings for school districts and similar entities.
The SE will work with the internal Engineering organizations to develop proposals and solutions to meet the customer’s business requirements. SE management may coordinate additional SE activities and/or account assignments.
- Thoroughly assess client’s business and technical needs during the pre-sales process.
- Design and price Telecommunications services including Data Transmission Services (Lit and Dark WAN) and/or Internet Access, Internal Connections and IT Managed services.
- Responsible for consulting, network design and technical product presentations
- Will work with multiple internal departments (Network Design, Outside Plant, IP Engineering, etc.) to create Bills-of-Materials (BOMs), Statements of Work (SOWs), fiber estimates and customer facing documentation.
- Responsible for network drawings (Visio diagrams) for ERATE projects
- Assist the ERATE team with technical responses (formal proposal writing) for RFI’s/RFP’s
- Act as an advisor and SME on companies ERATE service offerings
- Understand industry applications and competitive products.
- Ensure compliance with company’s Policies and Procedures: documents and updates internal requests in all appropriate systems.
- Significant travel required November-March
Requires an in-depth working knowledge across multiple technical disciplines including Data Transmission technologies (Lit/Dark fiber WAN’s), Broadband technologies, Data and Wireless communications, MPLS/VPLS, and LAN/WAN integration.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university: telecommunications/IT or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in designing and selling complex Ethernet, Broadband, MPLS/VPLS solutions
- Must be able to present solutions to ERATE customers and interface with executive leaders, IT Directors and decision makers.
- Experience in K-12, higher education, and/or healthcare markets
- Understanding of MEF; Certification strongly preferred
- Field experience in pre-sales in Telecommunications/cable industry
- Ability to solve complex problems and learn quickly.
- Ability to work independently as well as in groups to meet goals.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Exercises judgment within established procedures and practices.